Yes, a pain in the arch of my foot that I've had for about 10 days. I wore a new pair of shoes (minimalist) and I am paying for it. Just not enough support for my feet.
I tried to ignore it. And it would sometimes feel better while I was running, but the mornings were like walking on glass. I was very purposeful in the shoes I wore to work this week, but continued to run.
Last night, after my run, I knew I was NOT getting better. So let the mind games begin. To run or not to run? Go slow? Go fast? What shoe? Switch my run around with my rest day? Ho hum. Ho hum.
I'm not running. (I feel like such a big girl). I iced it last night and took ibuprofen. The pain was so intense, it was going up my leg. Today, it feels better....more like little shards of glass, not big broken glass. That's good, right? So, I'll be icing it and taking more ibuprofen.
HOWEVER, I will be running tomorrow (6 miles) and then my 10 miles on Sunday. I'm glad we are early in the schedule so that little switches like this aren't a HUGE deal.
Going to clean my house tonight and enjoy a glass of wine to keep my mind off of what I would really rather be doing!
Oh man! That is such a bummer. But you really have to be careful with that foot. I know it's so hard to not be out running when you want to, but sometimes the best thing you can do is to give your body a break. I was having some pretty serious runner's knee and my physical therapist advised me to not run AT ALL for a month! Almost killed me. But I followed his advice, did my stretches, worked out on the bike & elliptical (Gag!), and Voila! Knee is much better. The best part is that when I was able to start back running, I hadn't lost any momentum. Phew!
ReplyDeleteHope your foot feels better soon!
You know I'm all about the minimal and barefoot movement but you have to work into it SLOW!! I wouldn't even attempt it unless you have NO future plans for training for like a year. I am just now...after over a year...able to run consistently in minimal shoes. And that's with 300 plus totally barefoot miles thrown in.
ReplyDeleteTake it easy...listen to your body. Why is it that as runners...this is so difficult for us? Be well friend.
I'm glad you made the smart choice - we do not take chances with Boston in 99 (!!!) days! Feel better ASAP!!
ReplyDeleteI hate minimalist shoes....I wore the saucony kinvaras for only 3 miles at a time, and each time I felt horrible in my achilles afterwards.
ReplyDeleteFor good news, I usually find with strange and sudden foot pains that they disappear pretty quickly. Take it easy for 2 days and check yourself with a couple miles?
I don't like that at all!!! Grrrr. Your doing the right thing (I'm such an expert;)) good job on being a big girl. Love 99 days till Boston!
ReplyDeleteTake it easy on that foot! It's better to rest now than make not run at all later. Race day is closing in. Be careful!
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing! I hope all the icing and ibuprofen pays off and you are feeling a tonne better soon!
ReplyDelete