Monday, January 23, 2012

Love Multiplies

Running has been WACK around here this week.
We've had ice, snow, ice rain and then more ice. Add a little melt, a little refreeze and more melt and it has been awful. Yak traks & studs don't do the trick! It was an ice skating rink around here. I've been on the treadmill much more than I like.
I didn't get my 14 miles in yesterday...just 7. When I woke up this morning, I knew I was going to get my 14 miles in. So right after school, I set out and ran 9 outside before it got too slippery. It was a combination of running, skating and slushing (stepping in slush and being slushed by cars). The last mile was not pretty...the black ice was just that...relentless. I came home, started dinner and ran 2.5 more miles on the treadmill. Fixed dinner, completed homework and assigned night time routines and headed back down for 2.5 more miles. Phew. Mission accomplished.

So onto LOVE MULTIPLIES....this has been simmering in my brain for a few days.
Growing up, my parents surrounded us with loving people.
My own children are surrounded by a lot of family, friends and acquaintances who love them to pieces and who my children love back.
After going through a bitter custody battle with Michael's oldest son (15 years ago), I always knew that I would NEVER deny my children the opportunity to be loved by as many people as possible. When being loved, I see that they also give that love back.
I have thought about this a lot with running this week. I'll admit it. I love it. I yearn for it. But it is many moons down on my list. My husband is always first. My kids. My family. But then...running. The great thing is, that when I nurture the love of running, I have the ability to give so much more love to those around me. When I bond with my running girls, I have emotional deposits that I am able to give back to my family.
When I give love to my family, feel loved at home, and supported with running, the same is true in my running....it grows and is awesome. It is like a fine balance to be sure that all aspects of my life feel valued and loved. And when all of those things work....well heck, it all MULTIPLIES!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed that you got your long run done on a Monday night. Way to make it work!

    keep multiplying that love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. It was a great reminder of how important it is to keep balance in my life and how the circle of love benefits from that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! I am a big fan of kids never having too many people to love them.

    Way to get that run done! And don't even get me started on ice!

    ReplyDelete