Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Finish Line...


I got good news from my dad today. I'll get to that in a minute.
My dad....he loves me unconditionally. He supports me without question. And he has been at every finish line of my life...it doesn't matter what it is...he is there. In fact, and often more importantly, he is there for the journey.
When I trained for my first marathon in 2009 he went on every long run, he nursed me through shin splints, he counseled me through the mental aspect, he encouraged me when I felt down and he was there at the finish line...literally sitting on the finish line. He is the managing editor for a newspaper, so he was able to get a media pass. There was nothing like getting close to that line and seeing him right there sitting on the finish line. I'm not sure who was grinning more.
He has been sitting on every finish line since then.
But today, he got a package in the mail that allows him to get a media pass for Boston! That pretty much means that when I get close to that finish line, I will once again get to see my dad waiting for my arrival. There is nothing like sharing this experience with him so closely. He inspires me. He truly shares the joy of the finish line and looks at it like only a beginning for us....

7 comments:

  1. You are very lucky! I dream of experiences like that! GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! You needed some good news like this.

    On a side note, how did he help you with shin splints??? I have been suffering horribly with them in my left leg for over a month, and icing just doesn't seem to be doing the trick any more. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love this! A relationship between a father and daughter is truly a blessing. So happy that he can do this with you/for you!

    ReplyDelete