Remember my post about Saturday?
Well, let's just say that Sunday wasn't quite the same.
Without going into great private detail, and yet sharing what I'm sure many others go through, running was a four-letter word at our house.
I realize that I am "obsessed" with running. Especially lately, since I can't. It's really all I want to be able to do. I need it. Yearn for it. And have been dreaming of it.
All of those things lead to the one very important person in my life feeling LESS than important. I have not been at my best. And this brought out "not his best".
It was an ugly battle of words and wills.
The majority of the my days are spent with all the support in the world. As I have tried to embrace new habits and become a better athlete, my husband has only been encouraging and loving. I think all of this would be so much easier if the "B" (Boston) word wasn't lingering in the back of my mind. Speedwork, long runs, and taper seem to be all that I can think about. Even though I try to hide it, my husband and I are such kindred spirits that he can read me with his eyes closed. He "feels" what I feel. For that, I am thankful, yet it makes it hard on him to see me hurt and fight this mental battle.
After a 5-mile walk with my mom, my husband and mom hashed out my little habit. To show their love and support of a healthier me, they surprised me on Monday with a road bike.
There were many words exchanged today to help heal the hurt and to foster understanding from one another. We are better because of Sunday. I have promised to round myself out as an athlete. We all just have to savor each day in getting to Boston.
Love the experience of being there, whatever it may bring.
And look forward to a new beginning of healthy living when we get back.
We took it out for a little test ride yesterday and had fun trying out the "gadgets". I have to admit I'm a little nervous on it right now, but hope that a few lessons from my girls will help. I didn't buy any clips, although they assure me I'll want them. I didn't buy any padded shorts/pants, and they assured me I'd want those too! And apparantly I'm going to need a repair kit. Wow! Who knew there was so much to this?
I can hardly wait for this newest adventure and I appreciate that my husband and parents were kind enough to encourage me to do so. They only want what is best for me, to be loved and to live a long & healthy life. What more can a girl ask for?
That is pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteRunning, swimming, and now biking . . . Did I miss the TRI announcement? Girl, I bet you'll be rocking an Ironman before long.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, I TOTALLY get the family drama that can accompany race training. I had to make the very hard decision this week to postpone my hoped-for marathon in June. With 5 super-active kids, a husband who works full-time and has gone back to school, and everything else happening in our lives, there is just no way that I can get in the running time necessary for it. Oh well. I'll get a marathon in one of these days, but for now, I'm just thankful for every day that I am able to run.
Ah yes, you quickly realize how complicated this biking thing can be! Congrats on yor new toy - what a great surprise! You will love it.
ReplyDeleteI am very jealous. ANd biking needs go on and on and on. Very expensive compared to running. But oh so so much fun! And yes you will want the padded bike shorts. And so much more!
ReplyDeleteWHOA look at that beautiful brand new road bike! That is so awesome! My road bike is kind of sad in comparison to yours!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting! My friends keep trying to get me into biking. I have trouble with just my feet so I need to conquer things one at a time.
ReplyDeleteLOVING THIS!!!
ReplyDeleteSo freaking awesome!
YAY for padded butt shorts!!