Saturday, February 27, 2010

The First Sleepover...at OUR house!

Well, a few months ago, both boys had been invited to their first sleepover, so I decided it was time to return the favor to the families. Originally, I planned on doing one boy at a time and the other boy would go to Nik and Nana's. But Nik got really sick this week, so instead of trying to balance the third wheel, I figured it would just be easier to let them both have over a buddy.
It was SO much fun. I tried to not be "in" their hair. But I got so much pleasure out of listening to their little conversations.
Lots of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superhero playing. Crazy running around, flying through the yard and spying on the poor dog. It was a busy night. Of course there were Wii tournaments to be had, and daddy was the hit of the night with a campfire outside. We let the boys roast hot dogs.

After dinner, they played outside under a full moon. They sat on the hay bales that we have for the boys to shoot their bows at. We just had to laugh at them talking about the stars they saw, pointing out satellites and discussing what they had learned about the solar system. It was adorable. Then mommy pulled out the dessert! The boys could choose between sundaes or smores. All of them chose smores.


I have been limiting my sugar, so to avoid this stack of sugar was a monumental task! I had a graham cracker and a marshmallow. I actually can't believe how much easier it is getting to go without. But, I digress. Back to the children. They enjoyed the smores!
After all that sugar, it seemed like a good time to put them on the treadmill! They lasted about 10 minutes on it. All of them together, each of them alone, big dorky boys on a flaming pink treadmill! It was priceless.

Jacob and Peter settled in on a pallet in the family room and watched Star Wars III. Nels and Nicholas made a pallet in the living room and watched Indiana Jones...I don't know which one, but both movies seemed border line too scary to me! But, I tried not to be a nervous nelly and just let them go. Around 9:30, I got them all to brush their teeth. There was definitely a lot of giggles, talking and flashlights going on for quite a while. Peter fell asleep in the recliner. I think Jacob was starting to get sick, so he had a rough night. Sinus headache, stuffy nose and body aches. He had a lot of ups and downs in the night -- from the floor, to the couch, to his bed, to my bed, back to his bed, back to the couch and finally back to his pallet. Ugh. Nicholas was the first asleep in his room, but he was restless and uncomfortable. He moved to the love seat, but it was too short, and woke up after an hour, so he went back to the floor. All of the kids were up at 7, which I didn't think was too bad.
I made pancakes, bacon and eggs. They requested whip cream! Of course, I obliged. Kids dressed, toys picked up and outside they went until parents picked up at 10:30.
It was a fabulous experience. There was no rough housing. All the boys used their manners. No one fought. It was just a great night. I am so glad my children have such great friends, with loving parents and common values. I'll do it again anytime!



2 comments:

  1. Yeah for resisting all that sugar! I'm glad that it is getting easier.

    Someday you'll have to put together a collage of all the shots you've taken on the big pink treadmill. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a fun mom! Those treats looked too yummy, not sure if I would have had your willpower though. I love reading your blog, it lets me know what I get to look forward to in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete