I let the boys ride their bikes around the block alone.
Then, I let them ride around two blocks alone. I'm not sure who was more stressed...Jesse or me. She just whimpered the whole time they were gone. Their chests were a little more pumped out when they got back. Ahhh, growing up.
Yeah for childhood! The way I see it, one of the main benefits of choosing to raise our kids in a small town is the relative safety that such an upbringing allows. (Remember when we SWORE we wouldn't submit our kids to being raised in such a boring place as we were. Ha!)
ReplyDeleteHave you ever read about Free Range parenting. I love to philosophy. Basically - the world is generally a safe place, people are generally good, and kids NEED to be kids and have the joy that comes from exploration and independent play.
Here's a blog about it that I really enjoy:
http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/
Thanks for sharing! I added it to my growing list! :) I do like to give my kids freedom and I love the sense of accomplishment on their face. I want them to feel safe.
ReplyDeleteAnd you know, I can't imagine raising my kids any where else. When I run through the blues, I just LOVE this area. I remember those feelings of being so "trapped" here. How lucky we were!
Have a great week.