Sunday, February 23, 2014

All You Need is Love....

I really do believe that all you need is love.
It nourishes everything else.
This weekend, we were able to bask in the glow of parenting.
Here is my post from Facebook today:
Parenting is hard. But today is one of those days that I think Michael and I, along with my parents, sat back and basked in the joy of our hard work thus far. Jacob was nominated for the National Junior Honor Society on Friday and Nicholas earned 1st place in a writing contest. I often question our parenting...but at the end of the day, I know we are raising good kids and modeling loving relationships for them. Thanks to ALL of our village for making Jacob and Nicholas the spectacular young adults that they are.
Nicholas was honored at our local VFW for his writing about his Great Grandpa Buck, his Grandpa Nik and his dad...all for their service to our country.
 
I know we have faults as parents....we cuss a little much, we let them watch crazy stuff, we hide very little and we instill independence (on the bright side, we don't drink nor do we shove religious fears down their throats).  But man, do we LOVE our kids...all 4 of them.  They are surrounded by loving grandparents & aunt Jenn...even my stepboys know they are loved by my family.  We shower them with love, remind them of our love and model our love.  Our two youngest have learned many lessons from having older brothers.  They have a large circle of love from extended families.
We support them all, guide them all and are willing to do anything to help them achieve their dreams.  Motivate them when they need a push.  Dictate to them when they are making stupid choices.  Cushion them when they fall.  Lecture upon deaf ears that will catch the important phrases when necessary.  Model, model, model love, laughter and learning.

So today was a day that we could enjoy our work.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh parenting! The hardest job in the world, not a day goes by I don't question what I am doing or how I handled a certain situation. It is so hard, but then there are those moments (like the one you just described) that makes all the countless years, months, days and hours of hard work completely worth it! You have great boys regardless of how much you cuss or the stuff they watch on tv. I don't think shielding kids from what the world is really like is the answer, you are a real person and so is your husband and I admire that neither of you hide that. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete