Saturday, February 22, 2014

Back to the start line...and FINISH LINE!

Today, I ran my first race since Boston 2012.  It was a half marathon and I was mentally ready.  I knew that I had to keep my pace in check in order to not be in pain.  And I'm happy to say, I did that!

I smiled the whole way, got lost in my thoughts & joy, celebrated with people running by, thanked the volunteers and high fived friends as I saw them.  

The race itself was small and on a fabulous trail.  I knew quite a few people running, and since it was an out and back, I had the opportunity to celebrate with them!

Amy and I didn't run together until the very end.  We crossed the finish line holding hands!  It was awesome.  We both felt great and it is certainly a testament to cross training, confidence and well rounded health.  Today wasn't about speed for either of us, it was about enjoying a long run with bling at the end, feeling good and pain free.!



I was lucky enough to get 3rd place in my age division (no, there weren't three of us!  I had a little competition).  And we stayed for me to get my award....
I forgot how fun it is to get your stuff together the night before, the pre race jitters and being around a community of people who enjoy the same thing you do.  I didn't miss the pressure of a "time" goal.  It was just a joyful day to run and I look forward to more days like that in the future.

1 comment: