Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tri-Cities Half Marathon...


Today was all about being happy in my own skin--running my own run and not causing more harm to my hamstring/groin.
I rode over to Tri-Cities with Diane (who placed 3rd in her age group @ 1:37) Becca & Nikki (who PR'ed with a 1:46) and Colleen (who wanted award for tallest or biggest boobs).
I love my friends.
It was actually a pretty perfect temperature, high 30's to low 40's. I enjoyed the course even though it was an out & back. We had a really nice run by the river. I mostly ran by "feel". I tried not to look at my watch and just listen to my body. I knew from the start that my upper leg/groin was going to bother me. But, it never hurt to the point of stopping and it didn't cramp up. It definitely slowed me down, but I knew going in that it would. The last 3 miles were very windy straight at us and cold, but I was close enough to done to not really care.
The bright side about today was:
*I finished....and considering I've only run 9 miles over the last two weeks, I'm happy with that
*I kept a steady pace from start to finish. I never felt like I needed to be done.
*People who passed me at the beginning were easy to pick off around mile 6, when I really find my "zone".
*I think I looked the same at mile 10 as I did at mile 1. That's not true for everyone, so I consider that a success.
*It does leave me to wonder if I "pushed" myself in a half---what could I accomplish? 1:45? 1:40.
*Once I tackle Boston, even if I have to hobble through most of it, I am really excited to commit to other activities. I swam 1/2 mile yesterday and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to go again.
So, I think I'm just going to have to resolve myself to continue training with a slight annoyance in my hamstring/groin. No more speedwork and I will add more crosstraining. Easy miles during the week and then a solid long run on the weekend. Only 7 more weeks until Boston!
My stats for today according to my garmin (because there was no chip)
13.2 miles 1:55:36--8:46 pace
No stops. One gel. One swig of water.
Great company.

3 comments:

  1. Great job. What a pain to have that lingering groin pain. Hope it stays in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I knew I could count on you to update right away! Sounds like a very fun run and successful too. Glad your leg is hanging in there. Keep swimming, you know it's good for you. I need to get back in the pool myself:). Nice job, Boston is calling your name:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the half! Clearly your training is paying off since it sounds like you made out much better than expected.

    I will be hoping you can keep that annoyance at bay and that it doesn't get in the way... take it easy!

    ReplyDelete