Friday, February 17, 2012

A Letter To Me, From Me

Dear Me,
It's me (and all of your running posse too!). Let's just get one thing clear. You will NOT run the 20 miles that are on your schedule for Sunday. If 4 miles "sort of" hurt, then 20 miles will screw you up. So don't be a dumba**. Just erase it from your brain and let it go. As in, NOW.
You have run 4 marathons. You run 5-6 days a week. You ALWAYS get injured during a marathon training cycle and you ALWAYS get sick. You've said it before, but this time, it's time to DO IT. Two words...cross train.
Usually, you are forced into cross training because you can't run. But this time, you need to embrace it to become a better runner. You need to embrace it because you aren't getting younger and your whole body deserves your attention.
We won't be waiting to do this until after Boston. We will be starting now. Each week will include one spinning class and/or one step aerobics, stability ball or swimming. Now, while the thought of swimming makes you want to vomit, it is time to suck it up and face your fears. It will be a learning curve. DO IT.
And now that Michael will be working days, you have no excuse to not get up and do something. Whether it be Jillian Shred, yoga or a short 3 mile run on the treadmill, you will learn to embrace mornings and get your blood flowing in a positive way.
Which brings us to the next topic. Blizzards from Dairy Queen are not a food group. Be kind to your body. There will be no giving up of sugar, but lets lighten up a bit. You are working your body hard, be sure to feed it what it needs, not just what it wants.
And last, that magic "number". You look for 30-40 miles each week of running. Get over it. Cross training is going to help. Stop thinking of yourself as that short fat little piggy. Not running one day will not drag you back to that. In fact, you might find your waistline and that you have guns for arms. Let's enter our 40th year looking and feeling fabulous!
So let's review shall we?
1) Re-evaluate Boston schedule to adapt to this injury. No 20 mile run this weekend.
2) Cross training begins now.
3) Utilize morning time
4) Choose food wisely
5) Stop looking at mileage, look at the big picture. 40 + Fabulous!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a GREAT plan to move forward and stay healthy through this cycle. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Embrace the swimming and go for it. Good luck with the cross training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I took this as a letter to ME also. I just got back from my long run (11) and my knee is KILLING me. I've been battling ITBS since September, thought I'd beaten it, and then today - BAM, it's back. I was so furious that I just ran through the pain, and now I'm paying for it big time. Thanks for the cross training reminder. And the "we're not getting any younger" reminder. Oh, and the one about the Blizzards. I needed that one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! So funny in a not funny way.
    PS The pool is kinda awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!!!
    Spin is boring, yet I find it GREAT for leg strength and stamina. Also, weight training...if you can find a Body Pump class near you GOOOO!!! You will not regret it. Also, sad to hear about the Blizzards, but I too am finding that maybe, just maaaaaybeee my age is not allowing me to eat ice cream every night?!

    CONGRATS to Michael for getting the day job!!! So proud of him!!!

    Now, listen to yourself!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete