As I think back on January, I hope we've gotten all of the bugs out of this training cycle.
1) Injury--foot pain in my arch which seems to be gone with rest, ice and ibuprofen
2) Sickness--fought off a sinus infection
3) Emotional meltdown--running became a 4-letter word one weekend, but I think we all got our emotions out and have agreed that we are going to Boston, so we might as well be happy about the training plan on the fridge that takes away time from other things. It's a big goal and needs everyone on board.
4) Weather--ice, snow, ice, wind...did I mention ice?
I have noticed that I am more tired this training cycle. My rest days are truly that....REST. Michael says he has never seen me sit still like this before. But my body craves it. So, I'm listening. We are so busy during the week that come Friday, we drag in.
And as for April....well, I have one goal. RUN STRONG. I keep reading these blogs where they are going for speed, putting in twice as many miles as me. I think that is great and I can't wait to celebrate their successes. But I've discovered that is NOT me. I like doing my speedwork once a week. I like my lil pace on daily and long runs. I don't have a desire to be a fast runner. I have a desire to be a strong runner who uses running as a way to stay healthy, visit with friends and do something for me. I also realize that I have many other responsibilities that I have to put my energy into. I need to be able to do that--mentally and physically. So far, I think I'm doing that. So I'd say I'm right on track. For me, it's all about balance. That is a successful training cycle.
It must be your whole family is going to Boston. Is it just you running? I watched my daughter the last two years and loved it. Last year I ran the 5K the day before and that was really fun.
ReplyDeleteAmen on the "running as a way to stay healthy, etc!"
ReplyDeleteI love how you approach your training and clearly, it is working for you.
ReplyDeleteIs it April yet??