Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summertime

This has to be one of my favorite summers ever. Starting it off with a vacation to Myrtle Beach just "set the tone". Since coming back in June, we've had a busy, but relaxing summer. (Is that possible?)
One of the best things is that we got to see Michael everyday! Unlike the school year when we see him for about 5 minutes each weekday, we got a few hours with him each day this summer. We tried to be semi-quiet while he slept, but didn't seem to bother him very much. The boys spent a lot of time with daddy. They all got the man-cave in the basement set up to a T! It is so cool down there. We also spent a ton of time working around the house. We cleaned out everyone's bedrooms, rearranged and redecorated. The boy's rooms are a reflection of them. Michael and I finally took on the task of painting our bedroom. It had been a horrible hunter green and we finally lightened up. In addition, we got new light fixtures, new blinds and some new artwork! Everyone pitched into working in the yard, garage and keeping the cars clean all summer.
Another great thing is my running! I have logged so many miles! And they've been FUN miles! The boys have really gotten into biking with me on my runs. Also, on the days when they didn't bike, we have really let them spread their wings this summer and earn some independence, so I was able to go run, leave them at home without having to find someone to stay with them. It was great! We had a lot of sweaty miles together!
There was TONS of sleeping in around here and lounging! Even Jesse can't pass up a morning of couch-potato!
We spent a lot of time outside in the driveway just "piddling". You can almost always find Jacob drawing or creating.
Nicholas? Well, no art here. Lots of hunting things down, helping daddy and
playing with his dog.
The boys have become so much more confident and smart on their bikes, that we rode to a lot of places.
And yes, we spent every single day at the pool for at least 30 minutes!
Yesterday was Michael's birthday. He insisted on El Sombrero because he and the boys have a standing Sponge Bob joke. They laughed so hard. Anything to make his boys happy--including wearing a sombrero in a goofy fashion with hopes of no Sea Bear attacks.
You might have noticed that every picture was the boys together. Truly, that has how they have spent their summer. Yes, they each had friends over now and then, but they really were more interested in hanging out together. Sure there were fights (ok, some big ones) now and then, but for the most part, they just hung out like good buds. I have to say that I have felt less stress this summer than any before. I have felt more peace. Of course we had days when I wanted to eat them and ship them to another country. But when I look back at the big picture, they were independent, fun & funny, and are growing up into spectacular young men. Michael and I were just commenting last weekend that we are lucky they like to spend time with us....walks, drives, errands, or just hanging out at night in our bed. We are a FAMILY.
I am also so excited about this school year. Jacob will be in 5th grade (in my class). How lucky am I to spend this year with him and that he WANTS to spend this time with me. And Nicholas is not far behind. This is an exciting time for them and I can't wait to share it with them.

1 comment: