Wednesday, August 24, 2011

No Regrets

Last spring, I was offered the opportunity to move out of the classroom into a different role. I passed that opportunity up because Jacob was on his way to 5th grade and has ALWAYS known he would be in my class.
I turned down the position and I have NO regrets.
These first few days with Jacob have been amazing. Amazing. Amazing.
For years, I have read his report cards about the student that he is. While you know that I think he is a spectacular child, you should now know that he is a wonderful student, classmate and friend. In fact, the whole group of students I have -- I have known them since they were in Kindergarten and the love they share each day is so fulfilling.
My Jacob. He wants to be treated no differently than anyone else. He works hard. He is respectful. He follows the rules. He is helpful and kind to EVERYONE. I feel so BLESSED to share this year with him and see him in a different light. This is going to be a gift.
And my boy Nicholas....SO PROUD OF HIM.
He has to work hard to be heard. He is truly trying to speak up more and ask when he needs help. He can even verbalize that he needs to do this! Huge, huge, HUGE growth for him!
I love that they each have their own style. We didn't go buy anything new for school...they didn't want to. Mornings have also changed this year. They are setting their alarms and getting themselves ready. It is a treat! I went for a run this morning and when I came home, the morning routine was in full swing without me. While it makes me momentarily sad, it makes me incredibly proud and happy. (All that darn hard work is paying off!) They were sitting on the couch with shoes on, backpacks ready and breakfast done when I was finished getting ready. WOW. All I can say is WOW.
I love watching my boys grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment