Sunday, July 17, 2011

Facing some Fears....

Would you believe I have NEVER run on a track? Nope, never.
All of my speed work while training for Eugene was on the treadmill. And I always did mile intervals. I decided that today was the day. I was nervous all morning and felt like it was race day!
I guess my fear lied in the fact that I read all of these blogs and how fast these girls run, and I fear my own failure. For some reason lately, my running confidence is DOWN. I don't know why. I should feel confident and strong, but it's just not happening. I was hoping that maybe a "spin" at the track would help.
The boys rode their bikes and I ran a 2-mile warm-up to the track. They were all excited when we got there. I had told them how nervous I was and it was like I had my own little personal cheerleaders. I almost backed out of using my garmin because of fear of not going very fast. But they INSISTED I use it so that we could know how fast I was running and what I needed to beat each time. They reminded me, "No cheating. You have to run fast every time." And run fast, I did.
I only did 4 X 400's, but I was really pleased (and surprised) with my times. I'm not sure I would've made it without my boys. The last round, they really pushed me and yelled at me to go FASTER. They loved riding their bikes around the track and encouraging me. They were as anxious as me to look at the garmin and see what time popped up. We took the long way home to cool down and their excitement in recounting the laps was SO enjoyable!
They can hardly wait to do this again. So I think next week, we'll try 4 X 800's.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea bringing the boys on their bikes! AWESOME job facing that fear! Track can be FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Good for you for doing it and I love that your boys were so excited for you. Makes me hope for something similar when my boys get older. I know what you mean about not having confidence in your running, I feel the same way right now. Almost every run just plain sucks for me, its hard, my legs feel heavy and I have to make myself keep moving. Last Saturday I had a 9 miler planned, Case was up three times that night and then was up at 4:30 so I had to take him with me. The entire 9 miles was awful, it was so hard and I wanted to stop every step of the way but I finished it and felt great for the rest of the day. Just remember that running is such an up and down sport and hold on to the good runs and accomplishments you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the 400s! Girl, you are so fast...I don't know what you're down about! Now me on the other hand...that's slow. I'm the one who should be complaining ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, 400s and 800s are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm eager to take my kids to the track too. My littlest wants to run and I have trouble keeping him "contained" at our track which is often busy with people. I worry that he will wander off with someone in a moment of distraction. I know next spring and summer he will be a bit older and easier to manage with big sister's help allowing for a bit more structured track time. I only wish we could run/bike there.

    ReplyDelete