Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rock n' Roll Marathon 2010

It was never my intention that this blog be about me. Certainly not about my running. It is my own private little paradise. And while I do spend a significant part of my mornings reading OTHER running blogs, I'm just not sure I'm ready to share my journey on a daily basis.
BUT...this marathon was different. This time, Michael did the half, the boys were at the finish line and my sister & brother -in-law were there. (We missed my mom SO much and will NOT let her be gone again!)
The weather was ideal. Knowing Michael was in it too, made it so exciting. My dad would be planted at the finish line and my children were being spoiled by their aunt & uncle. Although I trained hard for this marathon, I had been plagued with shin splints the last month! Ugh. My hope was silently for a 3:45, but was going to be content with just beating my Portland time of 3:58. (When I did Rock n' Roll last year, it was 4:11).
We were up early, eating and trying to poop. (For those of you who don't run, you can't understand, but for those that do, that is THE most important event of the morning!) Thankfully, we both had success. Dad came to the room to stay with the boys and we walked down to the shuttles.
(As a side note, if there is ever any weirdo in the area, they are attracted to Michael...I swear. I have tons of stories of people approaching him. Sure enough...there are hundreds of people waiting in line for the shuttle and who does the homeless guy come up to? Yep, Michael. And darn, if he isn't just nice as pie. I think he almost gave his banana away!)
We arrived at the starting area and got in line for the porta potties. We saw a friend from Walla Walla and visited with her for a few minutes. Then, we met some really nice people while waiting. We gave the crowd a nice laugh when we went into the porta pottty together. :) I love my husband! Hee, hee.
Off to the starting line we went. Big hugs and kisses. So proud of him and he, so proud of me.
The run was great. I felt good and kept a good pace going. But mile 20 really got to me. If you don't know this run, the most difficult hills are from 17-19 and again from 21-22. I really slowed down. BUT, I never stopped! And yes, I did manage to beat my time significantly from last year. I finished in 3:54. While I was disappointed, I also know to celebrate the small victories AND there is always next year!
Towards the finish line I met up with a really great guy and we pushed each other in. I'm pretty sure he LET me finish first. We shook hands and shared a "runners" moment together. He's got my respect. My dad was right there at the finish line. I'm not sure he realizes just how much he means to me. Sharing this with him is a priceless gift. I'll never beat his time (3:18), but he has shared with me a wonderful gift.
We quickly found Michael who did better than he had hoped! And then we found the boys. Jacob was so excited. Although I hadn't seen them at the finish line, they had seen me and loved watching me race that guy to the end. Jacob is the "no-shame" lover in the family, and he was thrilled to see me. The only thing missing to this moment was my mom.
The next post will consist of the rest of our day in Seattle. The pics are in backwards order, but you get the idea. Michael is already talking about his strategy for next year and I even heard my dad talk about running it with him!
Couldn't do it without these men!
Hearing about breakfast...geesh, they ate a lot and at this moment in time, it sounded TERRIBLE! But, I smiled, like a good mommy!
My two littlest supporters with the biggest hearts!

I love this man. I love who he is, who he has become and how he continues to amaze me as a husband, father and man.
A sincere hug of happiness from my baby.


This guy will forever be in my brain! He really pushed me at the end and I appreciate that!


Happy with his accomplishment!
Success!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE this post! What a great run and I love the pictures of you with your husband and your boys. So sweet that they were there for you and I had to laugh about them telling you all you ate for breakfast and you just sit there smiling thinking " that sounds disgusting". Thanks for the recap. I totally get the "pooping" part:).

    ReplyDelete