Saturday, March 26, 2011

What a bike ride is all about....

The boys had outgrown their bikes. We took them back to the shop and got credit towards new mountain bikes. They were thrilled. We were able to go home with one and the other is on order.
So today, I needed an easy run before my long one tomorrow. I took each of them out for a little 3 mile jaunt. They practiced with the new brakes, different gears and wider tires. We rode around the block first and then over to Nik & Nana's. These were so much easier for them to ride than their little starter bikes. Both of them could have gone much farther, but I didn't want to spoil a good thing.
The best part of today was talking with my kids. It's weird....I talk to them all the time, literally. But, get them outdoors and alone, and they "talk" like little people. I think that it is being out doing something together, just one on one. It adds a special element to our time together. They asked me questions and I asked them questions. Nicholas and I talked about exercise, school and cooking. Jacob and I talked about running, music and collecting things.
I've been royally bitchy and lacking patience lately...my class is draining every ounce of my being this year. It makes it hard to come home and be a good mom too--which is not fair to my kids, but is the reality this year. Days like today rejuvenate us all.
Tonight, they are off to Nik & Nana's for a sleepover before Nik leaves to go to Wallowa for a week. I think they have a movie on the agenda for tomorrow. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. I have loved reading your last few posts and seeing what a well-connected family you have. Your boys are so sweet, and you are such an inspiring mom. Keep writing these memories down! They make me want to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete