I didn't do the daily thanks on Facebook this year.
I really do try to be purposeful in my life with being grateful and thankful on a daily basis.
But I can't pass up this day to shout some of my many thanks to the world!
This guy....
There is so much to be thankful for when it comes to him. Although this morning, I was just thinking how wonderful it is to be adored by someone. He never misses a chance to hug me, pat my butt, kiss me or send me a text. How lucky am I? And I think that even when I drive him the most crazy with some of my OCD's, quite frankly, he's a little turned on by them! I love that he knows what I'm going to do before I do it and I love that I can still surprise him and he likes it. I like him too...a lot. I like hanging out with him, working on projects with him, snuggling with him, working out with him, raising children with him and facing life with him.
My kids....damn, they are awesome. Yep, all 4 of them.
Timothy, our first. Works hard, plays hard and beats to his own drum. It can be hit and miss with him because he was raised with a lot of turmoil in "liking" us. But in his heart of hearts, he knows we love him and would do anything for him. I know that someday, he'll be ready to ask questions -- and then again, maybe he won't. I'm not sure it really matters. At the end of the day we've come a long way to have a good relationship with him. As a young boy, he always wanted to call me mom. To me, that is a huge compliment. I love that boy to the moon and back.
McKenly, our gift. You never know how life is going to shake out, but HE was a great shake out! It didn't have to be like this. Fortunately, he was raised in such a loving home with a mother who wanted nothing more than for him to be loved...even by a dad, stepmom and brothers later in life. Going to college, helping out his family, making good decisions. We'll get him out here sooner or later despite his fear of flying. And we can't wait to go and visit his neck of the woods!
Jacob and Nicholas, my boys. They might not always like me, but I know they love me. Compassionate, unique, funny and loving. They've had plenty of ups and downs in their life that were monumental at the time and use them now as a thread in their fabric of life. However, they are stronger, wiser and more forgiving because of those moments. They love their older brothers and are not blind to the technicalities that come with being a blended (or in the words of my friend Diane), a bumpy family. It matters not to them. Jacob still likes to think of Timothy's mom as his "stepmom" and Nicholas refers to her as his aunt. They look forward to meeting McKenly's mom and sister. To my boys, there are simply more people to love and to be loved by.
My family....
After having the scare of losing my dad, I realize that I'm not defined by that moment. It wasn't a wake up call. Maybe it was a reminder that life can go away quickly, but it was more of an affirming moment. I don't take for granted time with my dad, mom and sister. I never have. The little things always strike me as important. Running with my dad, nightly talks with my mom and worrying about my sister & watching her pave her own path, in only a way that she can. Watching all of them love my children and my husband. (I'm pretty sure my mom would trade me in before she would trade in her Michael). I can't imagine one single day without them. They are what makes my little family complete.
And then there are so many other things....
(and I will not name names because I don't want to leave anyone out, but you know who you are!)
*My friends...near and far. My second families. Each one has such a special place in my heart. I only hope that I do for them, as they do for me.
*My work. My friends at work are a family to me. We are a well oiled machine and for that I couldn't be more thankful.
*My health and my healthy friends who keep me motivated and inspired. The staff and our friends at the Y. My blogging buddies, my facebook friends, my local girls!
*I'm thankful for my pets. Unconditional love at its finest.
*I'm thankful for Michael's brother. He is certainly the most centered and faithful of the Carpenters. It's our goal to get him out here this summer!
*My nieces and my nephews. They light up my world! Who knew that being called Auntie Shell could make my heart skip a beat. And these ladies, ARE my girls!
*My neighbors, my facebook friends, and even the ones who I'm not friends with anymore on facebook but remain friends in REAL LIFE!
*I'm thankful for the people in my past and present. Teachers, mentors, doctors, parents from school, students from school.....
*I'm thankful for Thanksgiving which has no religious ties to it. Instead, we rely on OURSELVES to be GOOD human beings. We don't judge, preach or assume.
We are just thankful because it is the RIGHT thing to do.
I love this life and I couldn't be happier. I like getting older, quieter and more confident.
Thank you for loving me, even when it might be hard to do. I like to think I'm a work in progress.

No comments:
Post a Comment