Saturday, December 21, 2013

An Open Letter

Dear Ex-Wives of the World,
I represent an elite and often disliked group simply because we are the "new" wife.  (And goodness, I've been the "new" wife for 18 years, and often it feels like day 1)
When we love your children,  don't be jealous.
We love their father.  Therefore, we try our best to embrace their children too....and their baggage (that includes you).  For most of us, to not be loving is not in our nature.  Therefore, when we love your children and embrace them as our own....enjoy it.  Be thankful for it.  Would you rather it be the opposite?  Of course not.  The more people that love your children, the stronger their net of support.
The world knows who their mother is.  The world knows who their father is.  And most sane and loving people in the world find it comforting that the step parents of the world can call them their own.  It is not an insult, it is a gift.  Be thankful.  
Often, we have children with these men.  We want them to love their siblings and their family...as extended as it may be...too!  We are happy to share our children with you, with their siblings, with their extended family.  I believe that we have the "peacemaker" syndrome.  And sadly, the only ones who end up hurt typically are our feelings (because we put them out there) and your (our) children who feel that they have to choose to keep one parent happy.
So am I dancing around a more personal issue?  Absolutely.
But I am at the point where I feel that if I speak directly to the ex-wife, it will not make a difference.  I am hurt.  I am disappointed.  I am dismayed that a "Christian" and a very vocal one at that can behave in these jealous, malicious and hateful ways.  I have been nothing but caring and loving to her and her son for 18 years.  I know he loves me, but he is afraid to love me for fear of hurting his mother.  What does that say? 
I am the stepmom and will continue to take the high road.  I will love my stepson as my own, forever.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? He is 22 (23?) And she still can't get past it? All you have ever done is love that child, you have opened your arms, heart, family and life to not only him but her, you are an amazing mother, and I won't call you his step mom, I will say you are his mom, because you care about him the same that you care about your own biological children.

    ReplyDelete