I have been shaken by the events of CT. So many young lives and innocent teachers just doing what they love. There is no answer to the question "why".
But one thing I do believe is just as I don't think religion belongs in school, neither do guns...no armed teachers, no armed guards, no intstilling fear in our children.
I relied a LOT on these ladies this week.
There were tons of tears, lots of hugs and many exchanges of thankfulness.
I also spoiled my students this week and showered them with daily hugs and affirmations.
We had a brief conversation about their safety at school and what our plan of action would be. We didn't discuss CT and they were respectful of the emotions running through our lil' school.
Nicholas and I made them treat cups....
And for the last two weeks, my classroom looked like a parade of glitter, paint and paper scraps had rained on my room. Along with the mess, came hours of giggles, smiles and meaningful conversations. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
And finally, I took my class caroling.
Wow.
We started at our upstairs tower and sung our way through 3 floors of classrooms and through the hallways. I brought scarves, bells, and mittens for my kids to put on. They loved it! They loved seeing their teachers and they loved the look on the children's faces as we sang our way around. Many of them had never been caroling. And many kids had never seen carolers.
It was awesome.



I'm so glad that your 5th graders are still doing glittery crafts! Good for you. My 5th grade daughter doesn't seem to get to do that stuff anymore and I'm disappointed.
ReplyDeleteI also agree - armed guards are for prisons, not elementary schools. If my kids start being treated like inmates (there has already been talk of barbed wire & high fences around our schools. Ack!), I'm taking them out.