Monday, April 23, 2012

Feeling Reflective...

Two things have become very apparent to me over the last week.
1)  The mind is an incredibly powerful thing.  When we were walking around Boston, my leg/groin/crotch hurt.  Let's just call it "the" injury.  The night before the run, it was tired.  In fact both nights, my muscles were twitching in my right leg.  I knew I was working it hard by walking all day, but when in Boston.....you have to utilize every minute.
The day of the marathon, it never hurt.  NEVER.  I thought about it a few times and did a systems check and thought to myself, "Yes, I feel it, but it doesn't hurt.  It's not uncomfortable and I feel GOOD."
Back home after a few days and I knew I was ready for a run.  3 miles felt pretty good.  It's been sore being on my feet all day.  Today I ran 5 miles and I can definitely feel it.  Going back to swimming for a few days and let this little injury heal.
2)  I am so THANKFUL that I ran Boston the way I did....no regrets.  Seriously, when I heard about the heat, I felt total relief.  I knew everyone would be running slow, so I didn't feel the pressure to push my leg.  Having been back for a week now and reading all of the other blogs, I am ecstatic that I am not beating myself up, wanting a redemption trip to Boston and am still hurting a week later.  In fact, it is the complete opposite. 
I had the time of my life in Boston!  I loved every step of that marathon.  I never hurt.  I never crumbled.  I soaked it all in.  That is just the way I want to remember it.  I feel no desire to go back.  I completely respect those people who do, but it's not for me.  My body thanks me for caring for it wisely during those deadly conditions.  I have been able to go back to running, swimming and biking.  This weekend, I truly gained back my energy and don't feel jet lagged anymore. 
I am ready and anxious to start a new chapter of my athletic lifestyle.
I am enthusiastic to support my husband and mom in their half marathon.
And am LOVING that my kids want to run and bike with me.  It has been a blast!
Here's to Boston 2012.  That was some damn fun!!!!  What a memory.

4 comments:

  1. As always, great perspective!

    You were an inspiration to me and a bunch of my running buddies this weekend. We were running the Wenatchee Half - a first half for each of us. It was way hotter than any of us were used to. I pulled up your Boston post on my phone and shared how you paced yourself and focused on enjoying the moment rather than pushing too hard. Ultimately, we all had a GREAT run! Thanks for your great example (and the gnarly picture of your blisters. That really freaked some of them out). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it was so fun! The marathon was a different experience for me. I didn't let go entirely of my goals and I paid for this. I'm feeling good now and hopefully ready to start training again soon. And yes, I want to get back to Boston because all my friends will be there. But I might just run it for fun if I get in. :) This year was certainly NOT fun for me...the race that is. The trip was AWESOME! Hoping you heal completely and get back into things feeling strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, Michelle!

    We'll always be able to say we ran Boston in 2012........and we'll know what that day meant to us. Every time I look at my medal, I can't help but reflect on everything I experienced that day, and in the months leading up to it. I'll continue to volunteer for it, but probably won't run it again.

    Enjoy the glow......and enjoy the recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing to rock Boston despite everything. Take it easy and make sure you're all better!

    ReplyDelete