Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February?

Really? It's February and it is snowing heavily right now. But I did have a friend tell me that she has journaled about our weather for the last three years and we have always gotten slammed with winter the last week of February and then overnight, it is spring. So, I'm hopeful.
The boys started karate last night at the Y. I told them this would be their test run and then we would go to a real martial arts studio if they liked it. Nicholas was really into it. Jacob liked it, but found it a little awkward. We'll see how it evolves. Tonight, they ran on the treadmill and practiced some of their strength techniques. I enjoyed that.
Jacob made the math team today. He has been going to school at 7:30 a.m. twice a week and doing extra math homework everynight. They took a big test on Tuesday (mind you he was SICK, but more on that later) and he did great!
The last week has been "off". It started last Wednesday. I had a bad day at work. Then we all started getting sick. Sore throats and headaches. It lasted most of the weekend. The weather was miserable...grey and cold. No one really had any energy around here. Lots of laying around. I had some runs, but none of them felt "good". Monday night was a series of comedy events...
I felt terrible. Really awful. Jacob felt awful too. Right before bed, he threw up everywhere. Couldn't make it to the bathroom. Chills and hot. Got him to bed. Nicholas got the headache. Long story short...I had two sleepwalkers. Jacob woke up at 10 and was hysterical. Crying, mumbling, upset. Finally got him to calm down. 30 minutes later I hear Nicholas talking loudly in his room. I go in and he has taken the sheets, blankets and pillows off his bed. They are piled in the middle of his room. Get his bed remade and get him settled in. THEN, Jacob gets up again with a terrible headache. Give him motrin and put him back to bed. He got up 3 more times during the night for random reasons. Nicholas gets up at 11:45 and is very upset. He has a horrible sinus headache. He is very prone to sinus headaches. I think he gets them from my dad and I. He decides at 12:15 that a shower would help. At this point, I can't believe I'm not asleep yet and am feeling worse by the minute. Michael gets home at 2:30 from work. I think I really got to sleep at 3. I am just not used to lack of sleep anymore. I need my 8 hours!
Tuesday is a blur, but today I think we are all back to normal. I still have a sore throat, but it's not as bad and I had my first good run!
Sometimes, when I really take the time to reflect on mommyhood, it amazes me. There is certainly no book that can prepare you for what you are in store for....and maybe that's a good thing. But the other night, when I felt terrible, it really didn't matter because I was feeling so bad for my kids. Jacob was a trooper and went to school because he had to take that test. They both put 110% towards karate and were gems helping me because they knew I was sick. I wouldn't have things any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment