
My dog has the running blues. It breaks my heart.
In December, Jesse fell when BURSTING out of the garage and hit the ice. She limped, took a few days off of running, but just hasn't been the same since. We tried a couple of short runs because she BEGS to go when I am dressed to run. She barrels through the house looking for her leash. We finally had to hide her running clothes because she gets too excited. After a trip to the vet, she has been put on the injured list for 4-6 weeks. So here she sits on the couch with her busted up knee (cross your fingers that she didn't tear a muscle!) and her ice pack. Yes, she is getting the RICE treatment. Rest (which is next to IMPOSSIBLE to convince her of!) Ice. Compression and Elevate! She even has anti-inflammatories. She is still hobbling around but put her outside with the boys and she acts just like one of the gang! Poor kid.
But, there is a little selfish silver lining to this.
I need to train. Serious train. I was going to have to really massage my schedule and routes to get Jesse her run in and to also get my run in. And believe me, I already massage my schedule a lot just because LIFE HAPPENS. So, while I am sad to not have my loyal buddy, I am taking this time alone to get some true training runs in which focus on pace, form and mind.
I am 3 weeks into the schedule and so far, so good. No week has gone completely as planned, but I haven't missed any workouts....just had to rearrange them.
It always amazes me what I learn. I know that running is for me and I have to make it work for all of us. But, I get so caught up in running blogs and have to remind myself that they are not me. In fact, most don't work and if they do, they don't have kids or vice versa. I can't get up in the morning to run because Michael has just barely gotten to sleep. I am going to start getting up on Sunday mornings for my runs though...not super early, but early enough to not eat a chunk out of the day. The boys are really liking their "boy" time with daddy.
Speed workouts/intervals get serious this week and I'm getting pretty nervous about them. They're easy on the treadmill because you have no choice but to do it. I plan on getting to the track after next week and pushing myself. I'm kind of like the energizer bunny when it comes to long runs...I just pace myself and go. But on these speed workouts, I really want to puke. Ok, maybe not puke, but I want to give all I've got! We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment