Spring Break rolled around this week and we could hardly wait to get out the camper.
We headed to Eastern/Central Oregon in the John Day Fossil beds.
The first day we left was a little rainy and cool, but nothing a few hoods and a fire couldn't handle!
![]() | |
| Seriously...best camping dog ever! |
We were only able to make it to one of the units for this trip, but it was amazing! We drove almost 200 miles in a triangle on this day and it was worth every mile. The boys were mesmorized!
This picture doesn't do the scenery justice, but the layers of earth were incredible.
We stopped along the John Day river for lunch and enjoyed the sun!
The small towns we went through were like walking back in time. I even found a half marathon that I think I might be able to win my age group!
So happy our kids love camping. All they could talk about was getting McKenly here this summer for another camping trip! Sitting around the fire, cooking, playing games...it does a lot for my ego when I feel so bad about letting them watch too much tv, play too many video games or be on their phones too long. They love the outdoors and for as long as they won't to go camping with their parents, we will let them. Although Michael did tell them that in a few years when Jacob gets his license, he'll let them take the camper. Yes, I had a minor freak out, but love that we can give the opportunity to have that independence.
For almost 2 hours, these boys sat in this spot and dug for fossils. (Don't worry, it was a designated spot. Totally legal). Jesse and I enjoyed the sun and the moment.
The weather on the second day could not have been more perfect. We cooked dinner and breakfast the next morning over the campfire. I love the team effort that goes into camping trips and wouldn't trade these moments for anything.
McKenly is definitely making it out this summer. Timothy is not. However, he is very happy because he gets to go with his mom and her new husband along with his kids to California this month. Therefore, we too, are happy for him. He was able to get time off of work by his mom calling and working it out for him. We all hope he has a wonderful time and that he is able to bond with them in some capacity. Out of his comfort zone is always hard on him, so we will hope for the best. He has never been able to bond with his brothers, so hopefully, he can find a place to open his heart to stepsiblings.
We are counting the days for McKenly's visit. I think between the four of these guys (dad, Jacob, Nicholas and McKenly) there are constant texts going on. McKenly has been starting pitcher on the varsity team for the last few weeks. His Uncle Chris (Michael's brother) has been able to see two of his games. That makes Michelle, McKenly's mom, and McKenly so happy!










Ha! Can you imagine the fun we would've had (& the trouble we would've gotten into) if we'd had access to a camper in high school?!?!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the shot of Jesse squatting by the river. Nice. :-P
Oh my dear Brooke...that was the FIRST thought I had when he said it! Yikes, and yes, YIKES!
Delete