Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Must Write...

When things like this happen, there are two things I must do.
Run and write.
I had tears as I put in a mile yesterday.
Today I feel more emotional than I did yesterday.
I am so heart broken for my running community....and when I say running community, I don't just mean the runners.  It is the COMMUNITY...family, friends, athletes, etc.
And in the midst of my sadness, I find thankfulness.  So many texts, calls and messages yesterday from a wide range of people who know what it means to go to Boston.  They felt compassion for my family and I.
Because YES, we were all right there last year.  And it was the absolute time of our lives.
We all worked hard to get there.  For a year, I tried to qualify.  After I qualified, I trained (through a nasty injury) and I was supported by my husband, children, parents, colleagues and community.  When you go to Boston, you don't go there alone.  Boston is a bucket list item.  It was truly a highlight of my life and I think that the same could be said for my family.  It was a trip we will never forget.  
The comradery of Boston, the people there, the excitement.

I know I have friends who don't like my blog.  They don't like my facebook posts.  They are private and keep their running to themselves.  Not me.  And for those who KNOW me, it's not about bragging.  It's about sharing and spreading the love of what I do.  So today, I proudly and I mean DAMN proudly wear my Boston shirt, necklace and the shoes that I ran it in.
My children are so upset and mad about this.  They wore their shirts today too!
And Jacob, who really has to think about these things asked to please wear my jacket.  I, without hesitation, let him wear it.  Because the truth is, as sacred as that jacket is, I didn't get it by myself.  We earned it as a family and so I think he has every right to show his support for Boston today.
It warms my heart so much -- the calls and caring that I've gotten.
And today, I focus on all of those people who were there....THIS year.  
I saw this on Facebook this morning and I absolutely love it!
THIS IS WHO WE ARE!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Be proud. I do not ever see bragging. You are an amazing person with a kind heart. This post only shows that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your blog and I admire your love and desire and your willingness to put yourself out there no matter what others may think. In the end the only thing that matters is family and friends and you definetely have lots of love from all those people. Your boys are so sweet, I pray that I can raise my boys to be as sweet, loving and caring as yours are for others. Thought of you a lot these last two days (as well as my mom, dad and sister). What happened was horrible but there is SO much good in this world and you are part of that good.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your children want to show their support. You are right. The family earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posting.
    It took me until today to publish my response.

    ReplyDelete