Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Finding a New Way...

Trust me.  I know that I have so much to be thankful for.  Especially when it comes to my health. 
 I also know that there are people who have life threatening illnesses and 
that I am fortunate that this is only a temporary setback.  
But, these were my few moments of complete self pity after leaving the doctor's office and hearing, 
"No physical activity from the hip down for one month.  No running for at least 4 months."
I have extreme chronic tendinitis in my right groin/pelvic/hip region...inside and out.
Ibuprofen and rest are all that will heal it at this point.
Taking away running, biking and swimming is like taking away a part of me for a while.
Truth be told, it stings.  And I don't like it.
And I know that if I want to be able to run for a long time, I have to do this for my body right now.  It has served me well and done all that I asked.
The doctor thought he was funny when he said I can get a really strong upper body for the next few months.  Hilarious.  He already had me crying when I was on the table from finding the painful points.
So today, I'm going to be weepy, because I am sad and disappointed.
This afternoon, I'll pull on my big girl panties and do something above the hips.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, I am so sorry to read this! My heart just broke a little bit for you. I would be devastated. :(

    I hope you can find some ways to stay sane and happy and even active in the mean time, and will be wishing you a speedy and full recovery. You've got lots more running, biking AND swimming ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- So sorry to hear the news. I know how much you love running with your buddies. Alot of Pro/College strength & conditioning coaches prescribe rope workouts for athletes who can't run/bike. Let us know if you want to come by and check it out when you are jonesing for a workout. Either way, heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. That just sucks! Sending speedy recovery vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear!! Hope it gets better soon! I can relate, I am on a "no intense" workouts due to a horrible glute issue. I cannot even bike.

    Just know you are doing the best thing for your body to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so sorry! I can't even imagine. My heart breaks for you because I know how tough this diagnosis would be for me. NO movement from the hip down?? That really sucks. Not to take away from your doctor, but have you thought about getting a second opinion?

    Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry. It is very hard to find a positive spin on such bad news but you are a strong woman and I bet you will come out of this even stronger. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no! Too many people injured this season. I'm sorry that you will be temporarily added to the list but I look forward to the tales of how much butt you will be kicking with your new upper body stregth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge huge bummer! Take some time to have a pity party before you put on those big girl panties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry. I wish it was better news. BUT there are almost always ways in which it could be worse. As in never running again worse so take advantage of the "off" time and make it productive. Maybe read a book you've been putting off, paint a room or two, or just enjoy the rest and come back healed, rested and ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there, Michelle.....rest......and when you come back, you're going to be stronger and faster than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I already signed up for Eugene in April and I've got a 3:30 on my brain! This just fires me up even more!

      Delete
  11. Oh Michelle!! I am SO SORRY! I had no idea it was this bad. Praying that your lower body heals up quickly in these next 4 weeks and that your mind (and family:)) are able to find other things to enjoy. Believe me I KNOW how hard this is going to be but I also know how strong you are! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally know how much it stinks, I am so very sorry! You're going to come back stronger, I just know it. Big BIG hugs to you, sweet girl!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete