We had a great Fourth of July! I took a picture at each place that we went, but darn if I can't get them from my phone to here!
But, we got up early and worked in the yard & washed cars.
Then we headed to the annual day at the Park.
Ate yummy food, visited with friends and walked around the circle.
We headed to a Walla Walla Sweets baseball game.
We set off fireworks.
It was a great day. Having to get up at 4:30 the next morning was not easy. Fortunately for us, the boys were wiped out and really didn't care about staying up to watch the big fireworks display.
They were out by 9:30. I think their daily activities are taking it out of them!
This week I did something I never thought I would do.
I swam here.....
This is Bennington Lake. It looks beautiful. And it is. But, I've never really swam in open water. I guess I should be more afraid of what is floating in the YMCA pool, but for some reason the lake freaked me out. I wasn't worried about drowning or anything. I worried about what was IN the lake and what might end up in my mouth or worse, swim in my ear and eat my brain!
My dear friend Amy, went with me and was so sweet. As we walked down the ramp, she asked me, "So what is it that you are really afraid of?"
I told her I was really afraid of bugs in my brain that I swallow.
She dove in the water and said, well let me check my breathing and see what I do.
She popped back up and said, "Yep. I get water in my mouth. I haven't got bugs yet."
You gotta love the honesty of a friend.
So we only swam for about 20 minutes. I think the anxiety I had kind of pooped me out before I ever started. I borrowed the wet suit from a friend. It was a men's xs. I had a lot of "gaps" and captured quite a bit of water. So, it is time to start looking for one that will fit me. I do want to try this again. And I can see the thrill of a tri.
Right now I'm still enjoying training for nothing. It's funny because I think that I have done more this summer than with a training plan in front of me. It seems that I am always running or biking when given the chance. I am loving my Power Pump class 3 times a week. And I am still swimming once a week. It's fabulous to just be able to DO what I want, when I want.
Thanks Amy for a great first lesson! I'll be back for more!


I am getting in the lake to swim within the next week. Hold me to it.
ReplyDeleteI will! It was nerveracking, but once my feet were in, I said "to heck with it" and just went for it! I think I held my breath a LOT, but....I did it!
DeleteIt gets better each time you swim and will be awesome when you have a wetsuit that fits! Ahhh...another TRI buddy!
ReplyDeleteI gotta say...reading about you and harmony headed over to Portland was TEMPTING to just hitch a ride on her way over!
Delete