It's Mother's Day. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with this day. I love this day to honor my mom. I love this day to celebrate being a mother to my children. But, let's get real. Moms are humans. Which means that all of these relationships aren't perfect. As I've gotten older, I've come to see the slippery slope so clearly. And I understand why the woman who created this day, regretted it. So what kinds of moms are there?
Well, you've got the ones like my grandmother and my mother. They are the matriarchs. They pride themselves on taking care of everything, seeing the good in all and catching us when they fall. As I've gotten older, I appreciate and love my mom for so much more...for the things she is starting to pass on to me to take care of. There is no doubt that their love is unconditional for all of us.
You've got me. I try my damnedest to balance my family, myself, my job and all that other jazz. It's not always pretty, but it is with the best of intentions and a positive outcome in mind. I strive to be the best stepmom I can....to love the children who are not "mine" as if they are "mine", because they are his, which makes them ours. And I am a mom to many children in my classroom each year...what an honor.
You've got moms who seem perfect. They don't have to work outside of the home, which lets you know they are certainly working twice as hard inside the home. The expectations have to be astronomical...volunteer here, carpool there and keep your sh*t together. You've got moms who seem perfect and do work full time outside of the home. You amaze me.
You've got moms who aren't. Moms who are abusive, absent...the reality, moms who just shouldn't be. I see it in my class, all too often. And I hear it from my adult friends who survived it. You've got the true evil stepmoms. Geesh, they give us all a bad rap.
You've got moms who are possessive, helicopters and won't allow anyone else to love their children. Seen that and still baffled by the selfishness.
You've got moms who aren't your mom, but they are your mom. Because in reality, it takes a village to raise children. I couldn't be more thankful for the women in my life who mother me and who mother my children.
You've got moms who are doted on by their children. And moms who are ignored by their children. Children who rush to visit their mothers any chance they get. And children who visit once a year at Christmas.
You've got men who are moms where there are no moms. I've seen plenty of single dads who are just doing amazing things with their kiddos. You've got single moms who are working to keep things as normal as can be for their kids without a single gripe.
On this day, as I think about all of these things, I choose to focus on what gives me gratefulness, thankfulness and defines me as a person....my mom, my husband who graced me with these beautiful children (all 4 of them), my two boys who look at me with total trust, absolute love and yes, sometimes disgust, and the women in my life who inspire me to continue to be a better MOM....
Happy Mothers Day...today and all of the other 364 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment